You are here: Ministries → Religious Education → Acolyte Training
Purpose of Committee
To maximize the
spiritual benefit offered to altar boys in serving before the Holy Altar of
Christ our God by encouraging participation in and enhancing knowledge of the Divine
Services of the Orthodox Church, and nurturing
the awe of serving the Living God.
- Provide practical training guidelines (altar etiquette, teleturgical actions, care of the altar, clergy interaction, etc.)
- Provide structure to altar service
- Provide theoretical training guidelines (meaning of Divine Liturgy, Eucharistic theology, prayers, Christian ascetical life, etc.)
- Organize annual acolyte retreat at the Diakonia Center
- Instill respect in altar boys
- Initiate altar boys into the mystical experience of the
- Maintain focus on Christ as Offered and Offerer
- Identify, nurture, and encourage priestly vocations
Please contact the Metropolis office for further information.